Summer is here, and we teamed up with Phoenix chef and grilling sensation Johan Magnusson of Big Swede BBQ to create this healthy Vegan salad using our whole grain Kamut® for a rich and hearty texture. Kamut® is an ancient form of wheat with high protein content, and when cooked whole, like Johan does for this salad, the grain has a low glycemic index, making it ideal for wellness and a heart-healthy lifestyle.
Grilled beets take on a smoky, creamy texture and give this remarkable salad character. You are going to love this meal for entertaining guests at your next barbeque.
For the Grilled Beets:
- 1 ½ lb. Red Beets
- 1 ½ lb. Yellow Beets
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- Flaky Sea salt
- Black Pepper
For the Kamut®
- 2 cups Kamut® from OrganicGrains.com
- 8 cups No-Chicken or Vegetable Broth
For the Grilled Veggies
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 1 yellow squash
- 3 zucchinis
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Big Swede BBQ Badass Veggie Boost or another Veggie seasoning
- Chives, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Light Vinaigrette (citrus or raspberry)
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Soak the Kamut® overnight in a bowl of water. Drain the water before cooking.
- Set up your grill for direct grilling and high heat.
- Remove the green tops from 3 pounds of beets. Place the unpeeled whole beets on a very hot grill and cover with a lid. Cook them for about 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so until they are charred on all sides, and a paring knife can easily pierce the vegetables to the center.
- Halve one orange and one lemon and cook them on the grill over medium-high heat, turning once, until the fruit is caramelized, and the peel is charred for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to take the beets off the grill, put them in a large bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap to steam for about 30 minutes.
- While you are grilling the beets, bring the broth up to a boil and add the soaked Kamut®. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the soaked grains simmer for 45-60 minutes. The Kamut® is ready when it is chewy and tender. Drain off excess liquid and set it aside.
- Slice the onion, bell peppers, squash, and zucchinis into thin strips and skewer on bamboo skewers. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and season with the veggie rub.
- Grill the skewers until the veggies have a good char and are cooked through. When ready, remove it from the grill.
- After the beets have steamed, put on some latex gloves, and use a few paper towels to remove the charred outer layers of the beets.
- Cut the beets into small wedges, then toss with a squeeze of the grilled citrus, a drizzle of olive oil, some flaky sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Let the veggies cool off, and then cut into smaller pieces. Mix the veggies and the Kamut® in a bowl and pour into a serving dish. Place the grilled beets on top and top with some chives. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- If using, grate some parmesan slices on top of the salad and serve.